In the midst of all of the business starting shenanigans, I have not created as many recipes recently. I knew this would be the case as I…well….killed the old blog and revamped the Yummchi name. HOWEVER, I do not want completely give up the recipe sharing experience. Even if the recipes are simple, I think it is important to share with each other how we make and eat food. That is why I am going to periodically do posts called, “Make This!”
I was pondering the idea of sharing some food ideas that incorporate kimchi. Since many people have never heard about kimchi, it can be daunting to invest in a jar.
“So……..what do I do with it?”
This is something I hear often from the kimchi newbies. Do not worry if you are one of those people! I hope with the “Make This!” blog posts, you will be able to see some of the things I make and some of the things others make. I know I am always more excited to try something when I see a picture.
So here is the first go at Make This!
Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Kimchi
What you need:
- hash browns
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu
- oil or vegan butter
- couple pinches of turmeric
- black salt also known as kala namak (The high sulfur content gives it an eggy flavor. You can find it in Indian spice stores.)
- salt&pepper to taste
- Yummchi Kimchi
- Other desired toppings (My table had avocado with lime, nutritional yeast, and sriracha.)
What you do:
- Cook your hash browns according to package instructions (we used Ore-Ida.)
- Wrap your tofu in a couple paper towels and squeeze out excess moisture. Using your hands, crumble the tofu to a desired “scramble” texture.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) in a pan until melted and add the tofu. Add the turmeric, black salt, and salt&pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cook your tofu until it gets slightly crisp on the bottom (5-10 minutes)
- Once the potatoes and tofu are cooked well, create an assembly station…or just set the table. Build your tacos as desired!
My favorite combo goes like this: Tortilla+potatoes+tofu+avocado+nutritional yeast+kimchi. It is so good!!! I ate four of them.
Let me know what you think. Have you made breakfast tacos before? What toppings would you add?
ALSO! I want to put YOUR recipe on a Make This! blog post. Email me. email@example.com
Love you all!